- 1 whole head garlic, top trimmed
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 lbs potatoes, scrubbed, chopped
- Pinch of salt
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese (would recommend New York or Vermont sharps), shredded
- 2 Tbsp chopped canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (found in the International aisle)
- Sliced jalapenos for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place head of garlic on a large sqaure of aluminum foil and drizzle with oil. Gather foil around garlic, twisting tip to close tightly.
- Bake until pulp is golden and very soft, about 60 minutes. When cool enough to handle, separate cloves and, using your fingers, squeeze the pulp of each clove into a small bowl.
- Mash garlic with a fork until smooth.
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook potatoes until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and transfer back to pot.
- Add cheese, chipotle peppers and garlic puree.
- Mash to combine leaving potatoes very chunky.
- Garnish with jalapenos.
Makes 6 servings